Thursday, July 21, 2005

And then he realized: it was nickel, not silver.

Ever since my last blog I have been asking many people for advice on applying to graduate school. In the process of doing so I have become a bit stressed out. There are so many options, so many does, and so many don't does. I would say the most helpful piece of advice which I have received so far came from a Professor under whom I worked this whole past year on my Independent Study Course. If I really want to apply to Clinical Psych in graduate school (once getting past the sheer improbability of getting in if it were up to chance) then I should get some sort of experience behind my belt that tells me if it is even the right thing to do in the end. I could, with more ease, get into a sub-discipline of Psychology that demands more research than anything else. I might even be interested in getting into Social-Personality, who knows? The main thing is that it is not what I want.

I want to explore the clinical world. I want to learn about personality disorder, the psychotic disorders, mood disorders. I want to learn treatment techniques/approaches. It's such a fascinating realm which I think I would enjoy thoroughly. It's just getting there which is rough. Now that I know I'd be competitive I have to fill out many applications for a number of different Universities, and at least 2 or maybe even three different subdisciplines of Psychology. I have to write personal statements giving numerous rationales as to why I want to contribute to that discipline. I have to go to information sessions, interviews, etc. etc. etc.

Okay so I am ranting. I should be happy - not that I am sad about all of this. I guess it is all the responsibility for my fate bearing down on my shoulders which makes me feel very serious. I suppose that is the mindset I will take until I make it into Graduate School. Then I can revert back to the normal stresses and challenges that school offers.

I really enjoy School when I've been at the same one for even 3 months. It's a sort of groove. A pattern that isn't quite stable but fluid, isn't quite fluid but stable. I can do this; it is a big task that just needs to be chopped up in to mini goals.

I feel like both football players and coach.

Ready?

Break!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Personal Blog Top Sites