Sunday, July 03, 2005

Tomatoes for Dinner?

This post was supposed to show up on July 1st, but due to technical difficulties surrounding the function on blogspot that is supposed to allow you to email in your posts, it did not work.




I arrived at Newark International Airport - in New Jersey - at 8:40 am yesterday, after a very easy 1 hour flight. I had some reservations about flying alone for the first time, but after a nice Jewish couple sat down and started talking to me my worries seemed to dissipate. I got my luggage, waited a while for my ride to come and then arrived at the yeshiva at something like 10:30 am.

They seem to have affected a non-pushy attitude for the people coming in whom they percieve to be what they call "Beginners". They don't want them scared away by all the incumbent obligations of Judaism. Butter them up with fun and then put the fear of the Lord into them might just be their game. I'm actually going minigolfing today!! Who has ever heard of a Yeshiva taking their bocherim out to go minigolfing?? I guess I had better milk it.

Yesterday I got the chance to do something very simple but very good at the same time. A bunch of students were taken to a place where donated groceries are loaded into individualized boxes and delivered to families without their having asked or known who did it. I'll post some pictures when i'm able to connect my digital camera to a computer (which will in all likelihood happen when I get back home). It was a really heartwarming experience to see around 30 people working with their hearts to get food to needy families. Seeing what went on and participating in it myself really rubbed off on my mood. I loaded many pounds of: peaches, apples, peppers and onions.

Just the thought that something so simple can help someone, even temporarily, is really great.


Till next time!

1 Comments:

At 8:53 AM, July 04, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

milk it? Lol, that's funny! Did you have fun minigolfing? I love minigolfing... hmm... I wonder if it's any different in New York than back here in Thornhill... so is "milk it" an expression that I just didn't know about? Sounds really really funny to me! :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Personal Blog Top Sites