Monday, July 18, 2005

Back to Academic Life!

It is nice to be back home in Toronto.

Someone seems to have wanted my homecoming to be as gleeful as possible in a number of ways. One of the first things I did when I came home was to check to see what I got in the mail. Several letters from York University arrived. The first one I opened was a letter explaining that I should take the opportunity to apply for a graduate school scholarship, as I am more than qualified to do so. That one was a big ego boost! Next was a letter telling me that I got on the seasonal Academic Achievement list for the 2004-2005 year. This one was not as much of a surprise considering that I know the conditions that you have to meet to get on it. It was still nice however! The third one was a pay stub from my jobs at York - no complaints here! Then the fourth letter that came for me was a 20 dollar checque from the Canadian Government for my tax returns. Okay so that was not so much but I figure that it is money in my pocket so I still choose to abstain from complaints.

I'm really excited about graduate school now. I never thought my school would mail me with a letter telling me to apply for scholarships. I do not think I would have been as comfortable approaching that kind of a procedure without such encouragement. The letter told me that if I feel my extra-curricular accomplishments were good enough that I should apply for a Rhodes Scholarship. That would be almost too good to be true if it could happen. I work two research assistant positions at York and volunteer for a number of people. I do not know if this counts as decent extra-curricular activity, but I intend on finding out. Applying can not hurt me. I do not expect that I will get it, but that would be spectacular if I could. Just imagine, the chance to study in Oxford University - it blows my mind.

I find that I don't tend to focus on the future as much as what I am doing in the present. I like the work that I do; it gives me a lot of intellectual stimulation, challenge and meaning. If they want to honour me for that then so be it. I guess that is why it came as surprise to receive such a letter, as I have not been prepping myself to receive any future honours. I like keeping my future planning truncated. Planning for things too long in advance makes me very nervous. I like living in the here and now. If I need to pick out a graduate school then I will do that this summer; an obviously necessary step. Some people plan their whole undergraduate careers from day 1. I can not understand that. Take the challenges that school handles you as they come along and be realistic. Acknowledge that you have a lot to learn and that every year is a new challenge.

I really do want to become a therapist. It seems to be where my talents are headed. Precedent to this goal, however, is my education. My education is the here and now and I am really enjoying it. Enjoying my education makes me feel like I don't need to be a therapist now. It makes me feel wildly curious, perpetually stimulated, respectful of those with more experience, connected to the material. It is a rich part of my life which I hope to never lose, even if/when I do become a therapist.

In addition to all the good news I received today I got to spend time with a friend down at Harbourfront Toronto. We walked along the lakeshore and just chatted about whatever came to our minds. It was an incredibly relaxing time; one of those instances where the passage of time becomes irrelevant and all that matters is the company that you are keeping.

Today will be one of those days that I should hope to draw upon when I am not feeling so on top of my game. One of those idyllic times that helps to slow down my heart beat and open me to the calm waves of tranquility.

*calm sigh*

Till next time,
- Inkhorn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Personal Blog Top Sites