Friday, October 21, 2005

The year goes on!

Well my voice is back!

I'm still coughing a little bit, but it has been getting better every day.

The Jewish holidays are almost over. I'm definitely glad in a sense, as now I'll be able to get into the swing of doing more work every week, and feeling more productive. I do not like the feeling of missing out on class or opportunities to work every week. It is so wrong by this point. Being in school for so many years has really influenced me to become a kind of school patriot. I like it a lot! I like doing assignments, expanding my knowledge base, arguing in class, doing research and talking with Professors.

Some day I'll be outside of Academia and will have to get used to a whole set of different people, rules and behaviours. I do not have to worry about that now, however. School is a very structured environment which allows me to both pursue my academic interests and make interesting new friends.

If there is one thing I can definitely say about people at York it's that there are a lot of people with their own unique personal styles and personalities. Maybe I'm overgeneralizing but York is an incredibly left wing environment. In this environment (maybe more in the Arts disciplines) people tend to be less conforming and more different. I suppose it might be some kind of massive stage people are going through where they feel the need to define themselves and their boundaries. They're out of the high school environment and they either feel uncomfortable following norms, or they feel that they inhabit the norm.

As for me, I'm happy that I have friends that I can take with me in my journey through this part of life. Friends tend to be the mainstay of security when I'm feeling too alienated from the world due to too much work or some or due to some fault of my own. My friends definitely are not without their problems (then again, neither am I!) but they tend to be there. They have a presence which is accessible. They don't change drastically. I like who they are and trust them in the things they do.

Most of all, I trust myself. Right now, my self is telling me to get ready to get out a book for my Sociology course and read it in view of the mid term exam that is coming up on Thursday!

Studyingly,

- Inkhorn

1 Comments:

At 9:00 PM, October 21, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol, I love your entries Matthew! You're definitely a provocative writer! And I have to agree with you, academic settings make people like you and I feel almost safe since we don't know any better and it's a whole other (scary) world out there! But, alas, life goes on, and, like you said, one day we'll have to venture out into the real world, but for now we could be comforted by the thought that it won't happen any time soon! ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Personal Blog Top Sites