Monday, October 10, 2005

My Date!

Well I just went out on my first official 'date' in about 2 years now.

I think the most prevalent thing that comes to mind when I reflect back on this date, and dates in general, is the notion of scrutiny. After I performed my usual hygiene rituals in the morning, I shaved my facial hair and made sure to put on some AXE - voodoo (is that a smell or a magical rite?). I wanted to look good. It's not that I feel that I have to change my whole body to be pleasing to someone else, but I definitely didn't want to be at the other end of the tidiness spectrum.

Anyway, I darted out of my room at just the right minute to make it on time to the spot where we planned on meeting. I arrived and, as soon as I saw her (oh you'd like to know names wouldn't you? Not on a public blog, sorry :) ) I was impressed with the way that she had done herself up!

Enter 'date' mode.

We walked through York Campus looking for a specific pub to be open on Thanksgiving so that we could sit and chat our hearts away. That didn't work: the campus was pretty dead! Instead of going to a pub today, we switched gears to movie date mode!!!

The movie phenomenon is quite an enigma for me. I never know what exactly to do during it - while on a date of course. I was sitting on my bed (yes, we had gone up to my dorm by this point) next to her throughout the movie. We watched 'Spaceballs' by Mel Brooks! It used to be an all time favourite but now I find it to be a little too well worn to really keep me entertained. Instead of focusing fully on the movie for entertainment, I suppose I was swept into a quandry about where the date was going.

What do you do during the movie? Where do you put your hands? What constitutes appropriate conduct?

Those thoughts, although at the back of my mind during the experience, were annoying enough for me to want relief through having some fun. I took various opportunities during the movie to be a bit of a tickle-monster. That was fun! I think it helped me feel more comfortable in the sense that there seemed to still be a physical barrier keeping us from going too far into each other. The good news is that it was accepted without any negativity. Very playful. Playful is good in my mind. Playful means the barriers aren't that fortified against the other person!

How was all of this construed? I'm not exactly sure, but I'm sure I'll find out in the near future!

In terms of the conversation: I think it went alright. I think we get along in a weird sort of way. I say weird because I didn't know what to expect from a girl who has a tendency to talk with a fast and sometimes professional tone. She's not monotonous however! In fact she can sometimes even sound pretty silly - in a good funny way. In addition to the sometimes-silly voices she uses, she also scrunches her face up when wanting to get that extra effect. Cute I think :) We generally talk quite a bit, but I think it will still take a while for some of the initial uncomfortabilities to be let down.

Wow, well that was the 'date' in a nutshell. Feels weird to do it after so long!

Again I wonder what she thought of it, but I feel that I really shouldn't be overly concerned!

Datingly,

-Inkhorn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Personal Blog Top Sites